OR:

Being an Account of an Epic Journey to the Land of Africa upon a Steel Horse

Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Straight Line From Misadventure to Adventure

What a week it's been indeed.
Regular readers of our three blogs will note 2 things immediately - I am incredibly far behind in my posts (and have no pics), while Tyson is basically up-to-date, and has tons of photos clogging up your precious bandwidth.
Ah well, such is the price I pay for my ridiculously detailed posts.
Under normal circumstances, I would sit here by the computer for hours in a futile effort to punch out the weeks and weeks of information milling about in my braincan, only to finish 2 or 3 days. But, these are not normal circumstances.
If you have been to Tyson's blog recently (I mean the past 2 days), you know what I mean. If not, I direct you there (http://www.tysonbrust.com), because this internet cafe closes in 1/2 hour, and I have to write the epilogue to my tale, at least.
Since Tyson, Tom, and I parted ways 4 days ago in Mbeya, I have travelled the breadth of Tanzania - to Dar es Salaam, and back. The reason for this massive detour is this - I lost all my travel documents (and all my clothes but for those I was wearing) on the road from Sumbawanga to Tunduma. Passport - gone. Carnet de passage - ditto. License? Registration? Sayonara, suckers. Travel insurance documents? You guessed it. All gone when I lost my right pelican case. I keep refering back to the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" in imagining it's further adventures. Alas, in that movie, the coke bottle was a sign of consumerism and greed (it certainly played havok with the poor fellow's idylic little tribe), and had to be gotten rid of - in this case, it looks like the pely was only too happily retained.
Fortunately, I am now in posession of one (1) temporary passport, one (1) police report, one (1) temporary import permit for a 2006 KLR650 (slightly worse for wear) and three (3) photostats of my registration, license, and original passport, which I have been assured is sufficient to cross into any non-carnet country. Moreover, Zambia is one such country - hence my presence withoin spitting distance of Tunduma now.
Yep, I'm back on the move. I'm getting a replacement carnet shipped to Livingston, Zambia, thanks to the efforst of my mom, dad, and David Steventon, of the CAA. Like the U.S. Postal service. Just replace wind, sleet, and snow with bum knee, cracked frame, and missing travel documents. I'm going to Cape Town, come hell or high water. Heck, that's what you paid for (if you've donated to Dignitas), and I always deliver.
Oh, and if you haven't donated, why the heck not?

2 comments:

Peter Loewen said...

Keep going, Jeremy. It's totally impressive how much shit you guys have put up with and still you're going! Keep looking ahead. Table Mountain is just over the horizon.

Peter Loewen said...

For what it's worth. Sam and I made it from near Dar to Joburg in 7 days and then onto Cape Town in 2.5. And you're a better rider than both of us.